Research Associate, Dr. John Lewis Laboratory, Department of Oncology, University of Alberta
My research interests focus on identifying novel biomarkers and targets of prostate cancer metastasis. I use cutting edge in vivo imaging and screening approaches to identify and validate novel molecules (cellular proteins and nucleic acids) that control this deadly process. Recently our group completed first whole genome in vivo shRNA screen for genes that directly contribute to prostate cancer metastasis. This screen resulted in identification of over fifty novel proteins that directly promote prostate, breast, skin and other cancers metastasis. Currently we are validating these proteins as possible biomarkers or therapeutical targets that can be used to predict and treat metastatic spread of these cancers. Additionally I am interested in developing small regulatory RNA molecules (miRNAs) based diagnostics of prostate cancer metastasis.
1. Leong HS, Robertson AE, Stoletov K, Leith SJ, Chin CA, Chien AE, Hague MN, Ablack A, Carmine-Simmen K, McPherson VA, Postenka CO, Turley EA, Courtneidge SA, Chambers AF, Lewis JD. Invadopodia are required for cancer cell extravasation and are a therapeutic target for metastasis. Cell Rep. 2014 Sep 11;8(5):1558-70.
2. Golubkov VS, Prigozhina NL, Zhang Y, Stoletov K, Lewis JD, Schwartz PE, Hoffman RM, Strongin AY. Protein-tyrosine pseudokinase 7 (PTK7) directs cancer cell motility and metastasis. J Biol Chem. 2014 Aug 29;289(35):24238-49.
3. Stoletov K, Strnadel J, Zardouzian E, Momiyama M, Park FD, Kelber JA, Pizzo DP, Hoffman R, VandenBerg SR, Klemke RL. Role of connexins in metastatic breast cancer and melanoma brain colonization. J Cell Sci. 2013 Feb 15;126(Pt 4):904-13.
4. Kelber JA, Reno T, Kaushal S, Metildi C, Wright T, Stoletov K, Weems JM, Park FD, Mose E, Wang Y, Hoffman RM, Lowy AM, Bouvet M, Klemke RL. KRas induces a Src/PEAK1/ErbB2 kinase amplification loop that drives metastatic growth and therapy resistance in pancreatic cancer. Cancer Res. 2012 May 15;72(10):2554-64.
5. Jo M, Eastman BM, Webb DL, Stoletov K, Klemke R, Gonias SL. Cell signaling by urokinase-type plasminogen activator receptor induces stem cell-like properties in breast cancer cells. Cancer Res. 2010 Nov 1;70(21):8948-58.
6. A PKA-Csk-pp60Src signaling pathway regulates the switch between endothelial cell invasion and cell-cell adhesion during vascular sprouting. Jin H, Garmy-Susini B, Avraamides CJ, Stoletov K, Klemke RL, Varner JA. Blood. 2010 Dec 16;116(25):5773-83.
7. Stoletov K, Kato H, Zardouzian E, Kelber J, Yang J, Shattil S, Klemke R. Visualizing extravasation dynamics of metastatic tumor cells. J Cell Sci. 2010 Jul 1;123(Pt 13):2332-41.
8. Murphy EA, Shields DJ, Stoletov K, Dneprovskaia E, McElroy M, Greenberg JI, Lindquist J, Acevedo LM, Anand S, Majeti BK, Tsigelny I, Saldanha A, Walsh B, Hoffman RM, Bouvet M, Klemke RL, Vogt PK, Arnold L, Wrasidlo W, Cheresh DA.
9. Disruption of angiogenesis and tumor growth with an orally active drug that stabilizes the inactive state of PDGFRbeta/B-RAF. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Mar 2;107(9):4299-304.
10. Stoletov K, Fang L, Choi SH, Hartvigsen K, Hansen LF, Hall C, Pattison J, Juliano J, Miller ER, Almazan F, Crosier P, Witztum JL, Klemke RL, Miller YI. Vascular lipid accumulation, lipoprotein oxidation, and macrophage lipid uptake in hypercholesterolemic zebrafish. Circ Res. 2009 Apr 24;104(8):952-60.
11. Stoletov K, Klemke R. Catch of the day: zebrafish as a human cancer model. Oncogene. 2008 Jul 31;27(33):4509-20.
12. Wrasidlo W, Mielgo A, Torres VA, Barbero S, Stoletov K, Suyama TL, Klemke RL, Gerwick WH, Carson DA, Stupack DG. The marine lipopeptide somocystinamide A triggers apoptosis via caspase 8. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008 Feb 19;105(7):2313-8.
13. Stoletov K, Montel V, Lester RD, Gonias SL, Klemke R. High-resolution imaging of the dynamic tumor cell vascular interface in transparent zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Oct 30;104(44):17406-11.
14. Gong C, Stoletov KV, Terman BI.VEGF treatment induces signaling pathways that regulate both actin polymerization and depolymerization. Angiogenesis. 2004;7(4):313-21.
15. Stoletov KV, Terman BI. Bmx is a downstream Rap1 effector in VEGF-induced endothelial cell activation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004 Jul 16;320(1):70-5.
16. Stoletov KV, Gong C, Terman BI.Nck and Crk mediate distinct VEGF-induced signaling pathways that serve overlapping functions in focal adhesion turnover and integrin activation. Exp Cell Res. 2004 Apr15;295(1):258-68.
17. Ratcliffe KE, Tao Q, Yavuz B, Stoletov KV, Spring SC, Terman BI.Sck is expressed in endothelial cells and participates in vascular endothelial growth factor-induced signaling. Oncogene. 2002 Sep 12;21(41):6307-16.
18. Stoletov KV, Ratcliffe KE, Terman BI. Fibroblast growth factor receptor substrate 2 participates in vascular endothelial growth factor-induced signaling. FASEB J. 2002 Aug;16(10):1283-5.