Postdoctoral Fellow Dr. John Lewis Laboratory, Department of Oncology, University of Alberta
Anaïs Medina Martín was born in Madrid, Spain. She obtained her degree in Chemistry at the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid in 2006. In 2005 she joined the group of Prof. Tomás Torres and started working on the synthesis and characterization of subphthalocyanines. She obtained her PhD under the supervision of Prof. Tomás Torres and Dr. Christian Claessens in April, 2011 for her research on the self-organization and photovoltaic applications of subphthalocyanines. During her PhD studies she joined the goups of Prof. René Janssen at TUE (Eindhoven, The Netherlands, one month), Prof. Atsuhiro Osuka (Kyoto University, Japan, two months) and Prof. George M. Whitesides (Harvard University, Boston, USA, four months). After her PhD she spent a short Postdoctoral period at Prof. Torres group (2011-2012) and then she moved to Edmonton (Alberta, Canada). She worked at the University of Alberta (Canada) under the direction of Dr. Derda (2013- 2014) in the differentiation of cancer cells into cancer stem cells. And recently she has joined Dr. John Lewis’ ́research group (University of Alberta) to study new tobacco mosaic virus-based contrast agents for the early diagnosis of prostate cancer.
1. A. Medina, C. G. Claessens, G. M. A. Rahman, A. M. Lamsabhi, O. Mó, M. Yáñez, D. M. Guldi, T. Torres,“Accelerating charge transfer in a triphenylamine‐subphthalocyanine donor‐acceptor system”, Chem. Commun. 2008, 1759‐1761.
2. M. S. Rodríguez‐Morgade, C.G. Claessens, A. Medina, D. González‐Rodríguez, E.
Gutiérrez‐Puebla, A. Monge, I. Alkorta, J. Elguero, T.Torres, “Synthesis, Characterization, Molecular Structure and Theoretical Studies of Axially Fluoro‐Substituted Subazaporphyrins”, Chem. Eur. J. 2008, 14, 1342‐1350. (Front
3. A. Medina, C.G. Claessens, “Subphthalocyanines: Synthesis, Self‐Organization, Properties and Applications”, J. Porphyrins Phthalocyanines, 2009, 13, 446‐454.
4. H. Gommans, T. Aernouts, B. Verreet, P. Heremans, A. Medina, C. G. Claessens, T. Torres.
“Perfluorinated Subphthalocyanine as a New Acceptor Material in a Small Molecule Bilayer Organic
Solar Cell”, Adv. Funct. Mater., 2009, 19, 3435‐3439.
5. M. Trelka, A. Medina, D. Ecija, C. Urban, O. Gröning, R. Fasel, J. M. Gallego, C. G. Claessens, R. Otero, T. Torres, R. Miranda, “Subphthalocyanine‐based nanocrystals”, Chem. Commun. 2011, 47, 9986‐9988. (Front Cover)
6. B. Verreet, B. P. Rand, D. Cheyns, A. Hadipour, T. Aernouts, P. Heremans, A. Medina, C. G.
Claessens, T. Torres. “A 4% Efficient Organic Solar Cell Using a Fluorinated Fused Subphthalocyanine Dimer as an Electron Acceptor”, Adv. Energy. Mater., 2011, 1, 565‐568.
7. C. Romero‐Nieto, A. Medina, A. Molina‐Ontoria, C. G. Claessens, L. Echegoyen, N. Martín, T. Torres, D. M. Guldi, “Towards enhancing light harvesting – subphthalocyanines as electron acceptors”, Chem. Commun. 2012, 48, 4953‐4955.
8. M. Ince, A. Medina, J.‐H. Yum, A. Yella, C. G. Claessens, M. V. Martínez‐Díaz, M. Grätzel, M. K. Nazeeruddin, T. Torres, “Peripherally and Axially Carboxylic acid‐substituted Subphthalocyanines for Dye Sensitized SolarCells”, Chem. Eur. J. 2013, 20, 2016‐2021.
9. C. G. Claessens, D. Gonzalez‐Rodriguez, M. S. Rodríguez‐Morgade, A. Medina, T. Torres, “Subphthalocyanines, Subporphyrazines and Subporphyrins: Singular Nonplanar Aromatic Systems”, Chem. Rev. 2014, 114, 2192‐2277.