Dr. Bimal Bhindi is a urologic oncologist at the Southern Alberta Institute of Urology and a Clinical Assistant Professor with the Cumming School of Medicine at the University of Calgary. He completed his urologic oncology fellowship at the Mayo Clinic and his residency training in urologic surgery at the University of Toronto. He cares for patients in all areas of urologic oncology and uses robotic-assisted, laparoscopic, and open surgical approaches. His academic interests include clinical outcomes and health services research pertaining to active surveillance, optimization of patient selection for local therapies, personalized medicine, and multimodal therapy for prostate and kidney cancer.
1. Oake JD, Shiff B, Harasemiw O, Tangri N, Ferguson TW, Bhindi B, Saranchuk JW, Bansal RK, Drachenberg DE, Nayak JG. The comparative outcomes of radical prostatectomy versus radiotherapy for non-metastatic prostate cancer: A longitudinal population-based analysis. J Urol 2020. doi: 10.1097/JU.0000000000000805. Online ahead of print.
2. Bhindi B, Lokeshwar SD, Klaassen Z, Klotz L, Wallis CJD. Systematic review and meta-analysis of trials evaluating the role of adjuvant radiation after radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer: implications for early salvage. Can Urol Assoc J. 2020. doi: 10.5489/cuaj.6440. Online ahead of print.
3. Hird AE, Magee DE, Bhindi B, Ye XY, Chandrasekar T, Goldberg H, Klotz L, Fleshner N, Satkunasivam R, Klaassen Z, Wallis CJD. A systematic review and network meta-analysis of novel androgen receptor inhibitors in non-metastatic castration resistant prostate cancer. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2020. doi: 10.1016/j.clgc.2020.02.005. Online ahead of print.
4. Bhindi B, Thompson RH, Lohse CM, Mason RJ, Frank I, Costello BA, Potretzke AM, Hartman RP, Potretzke TA, Boorjian SA, Cheville JC, Leibovich BC. The probability of aggressive versus indolent histology based on renal tumor size: Implications for surveillance and treatment. Eur Urol 2018. 2018;74(4):489-497.
5. Bhindi B, Habermann EB, Mason RJ, Costello BA, Pagliaro LC, Thompson RH, Leibovich BC, Boorjian SA. Comparative survival following initial cytoreductive nephrectomy versus initial targeted therapy for metastatic renal cell carcinoma. J Urol. 2018;200(3):528-534.
6. Bhindi B, Wallis CJD, Boorjian SA, Thompson RH, Farrell A, Kim SP, Karam JA, Capitanio U, Golijanin D, Leibovich BC, Gershman B. The role of lymph node dissection in the management of renal cell carcinoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BJU Int. 2018;121:684-98.
Among top cited articles for BJU International from Jan 2018 – Dec 2019
7. Bhindi B, Carlson RE, Mason RJ, Schulte PJ, Gettman MT, Frank I, Tollefson MK, Thompson RH, Boorjian SA, Leibovich BC, Karnes RJ. Long-term follow-up of a matched cohort study evaluating the role of adjuvant radiotherapy for organ-confined prostate cancer with a positive surgical margin. Urology. 2017;109:145-152.
8. Bhindi B, Jiang H, Poyet C, Hermanns T, Hamilton RH, Li K, Toi A, Finelli A, Zlotta AR, van der Kwast TH, Evans A, Fleshner NE, Kulkarni GS. Creation and internal validation of a biopsy avoidance prediction tool to aid in the choice of diagnostic approach in patients with prostate cancer suspicion. Urol Oncol. 2017;35(10):604.e17-604.e24.
9. Bhindi B, Karnes RJ, Rangel L, Mason RJ, Gettman MT, Frank I, Tollefson MK, Lin DW, Thompson RH, Boorjian SA. Independent validation of the American Joint Committee on Cancer 8th Edition prostate cancer staging classification. J Urol. 2017;198(6):1286-1294.
10. Bhindi B*, Wallis CJD*, Nayan M, Farrell AM, Trost LW, Hamilton RJ, Kulkarni GS, Finelli A, Fleshner NE, Boorjian SA, Karnes RJ. The association between vasectomy and prostate cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177(9):1273-1286.
*These authors contributed equally.
11. Bhindi B, Rangel LJ, Mason RJ, Gettman MT, Frank I, Kwon ED, Tollefson MK, Thompson RH, Boorjian SA, Karnes RJ. Impact of Radical Prostatectomy on Long-Term Oncologic Outcomes in a Matched-Cohort of Men with Pathologic Node-Positive Prostate Cancer Managed with Castration. J Urol. 2017;198(1):86-91.
12. Poyet C, Wettstein MS, Lundon DJ, Bhindi B, Kulkarni GS, Saba K, Sulser T, Vickers AJ, Hermanns T. External evaluation of a novel prostate cancer risk calculator (ProstateCheck) based on data of the Swiss arm of the ERSPC. J Urol. 2016;196(5):1502-7.
13. Bhindi B, Xie WY, Kulkarni GS, Hamilton RJ, Nesbitt M, Finelli A, Zlotta AR, Evans A, van der Kwast TH, Alibhai SM, Trachtenberg J, Fleshner NE. Influence of Metabolic Syndrome on Prostate Cancer Stage, Grade and Overall Recurrence Risk in Men Undergoing Radical Prostatectomy. Urology. 2016; 93:77-85.
14. Bhindi B, Hermanns T, Wei Y, Yu J, Richard PO, Wettstein MS, Templeton A, Li K, Sridhar SS, Jewett MA, Fleshner NE, Zlotta AR, Kulkarni GS. Identification of the best complete blood count-based predictors for bladder cancer outcomes in patients undergoing radical cystectomy. Br J Cancer. 2016;114(2):207-12.
15. Bhindi B, Mamdani M, Kulkarni GS, Finelli A, Hamilton RJ, Trachtenberg J, Zlotta AR, Evans A, van der Kwast TH, Toi A, Fleshner NE. Impact of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendations against PSA screening on prostate biopsy and cancer detection rates. J Urol. 2015;193(5):1519-1524.
16. Bhindi B, Margel D, Hamilton RJ, Fernandes KA, Trottier G, Hersey KM, Finelli A, Trachtenberg J, Zlotta AR, Kulkarni GS, Toi A, Evans A, van der Kwast TH, Fleshner NE. The impact of aspirin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug use on the risk of prostate cancer detection on biopsy. Urology. 2014;84(5):1073-1080.
17. Bhindi B, Kulkarni GS, Finelli A, Alibhai SMH, Hamilton RJ, Toi A, van der Kwast TH, Evans A, Hersey KM, Jewett MAS, Zlotta AR, Trachtenberg J, Fleshner NE. Obesity is associated with risk of progression for low risk prostate cancers being managed expectantly. Eur Urol. 2014;66(5):841-848.
18. Bhindi B, Locke J, Alibhai SMH, Kulkarni GS, Margel DS, Hamilton RJ, Finelli A, Trachtenberg J, Zlotta AR, Toi A, Hersey KM, Evans A, van der Kwast TH, Fleshner NE. Dissecting the association between metabolic syndrome and prostate cancer risk: analysis of a large clinical cohort. Eur Urol. 2015;67(1):64-70.
19. Bhindi B, Margel D, Trottier G, Hamilton RJ, Kulkarni GS, Hersey KM, Finelli A, Trachtenberg J, Zlotta AR, Toi A, Evans A, van der Kwast TH and Fleshner NE. Obesity is associated with larger prostate volume but not with worse urinary symptoms: Analysis of a large multi-ethnic cohort. Urology. 2014;83(1):81-87.
20. Bhindi B, Trottier G, Elharram M, Fernandes KA, Lockwood G, Hersey KM, Toi A, Finelli A, Evans A, van der Kwast TH, and Fleshner NE. Obesity and benign prostatic hyperplasia: Analysis of a large cohort undergoing transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsy. BJU Int. 2012;110(7):980-986.