Urologist, Assistant Professor Urologic Oncology, University of Calgary
Dr. Gotto is a Uro-Oncologist specializing in the surgical management of urologic malignancies, including prostate cancer. After graduating from the University of British Columbia and receiving the Wesbrook Scholar designation and Hamber Scholarship in Medicine, Dr. Gotto completed his residency training in the Department of Urologic Sciences at UBC. He went on to complete the prestigious Fellowship in Urologic Oncology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. He received his Masters of Public Health from Harvard with a focus in clinical effectiveness research. He has a large clinical practice at the Southern Alberta Institute of Urology and is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Surgery at the University of Calgary and a member of both the Division of Urology and the Division of Surgical Oncology. He is the Surgical Outcomes Leader for the Southern Alberta Institute of Urology and sits on the Alberta Provincial GU Tumour Team Executive. His research interests lie in health outcomes and clinical effectiveness research as well in translational studies. Dr. Gotto received the Canadian Urological Association scholarship for his research into health outcomes reporting and synoptic data acquisition
- Athanazio D, Gotto G, Shea-Budgell M, Yilmaz A, Trpkov K. Global Gleason grade groups in prostate cancer: concordance of biopsy and radical prostatectomy grades and predictors of upgrade and downgrade. Histopathology. 2017 Feb 2. doi: 10.1111/his.13179. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 28370140.
- Alghamdi M, Taggar A, Tilley D, Kerba M, Kostaras X, Gotto G, Sia M. An audit of referral and treatment patterns of high-risk prostate cancer patients in Alberta. Can Urol Assoc J. 2016 Nov-Dec;10(11-12):410-415. doi: 10.5489/cuaj.3910. PubMed PMID: 28096916; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5167598.
- Taggar A, Alghamdi M, Tilly D, Kostaras X, Kerba M, Husain S, Gotto G, Sia M. Assessing guideline impact on referral patterns of post-prostatectomy patients to radiation oncologists. Can Urol Assoc J. 2016 Sep-Oct;10(9-10):314-318. PubMed PMID: 27800051; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5085909
- Deveci S, Gotto GT, Alex B, O’Brien K, Mulhall JP. A survey of patient expectations regarding sexual function following radical prostatectomy. BJU Int. 2016 Oct;118(4):641-5. doi: 10.1111/bju.13398. Epub 2016 Jan 17. PubMed PMID: 26906935.
- Gotto GT, Yu C, Bernstein M, Eastham JA, Kattan MW. Development of a nomogram model predicting current bone scan positivity in patients treated with androgen-deprivation therapy for prostate cancer. Front Oncol. 2014 Oct 27;4:296. doi: 10.3389/fonc.2014.00296. eCollection 2014. PubMed PMID: 25386410; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4209823.
- Flannigan RK, Gotto GT, Donnelly B, Carlson KV. Standardized follow-up program may reduce emergency room and urgent care visits for patients undergoing radical prostatectomy. Can Urol Assoc J. 2014 Jul;8(7-8):E505-9. doi: 10.5489/cuaj.1655. PubMed PMID: 25132899; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4113585.
- Sandhu JS, Gotto GT, Herran LA, Scardino PT, Eastham JA, Rabbani F. Age, obesity, medical comorbidities and surgical technique are predictive of symptomatic anastomotic strictures after contemporary radical prostatectomy. J Urol. 2011 Jun;185(6):2148-52. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2011.02.003. Epub 2011 Apr 15. PubMed PMID: 21496848.
- Gotto GT, Yunis LH, Guillonneau B, Touijer K, Eastham JA, Scardino PT, RabbaniPredictors of symptomatic lymphocele after radical prostatectomy and bilateral pelvic lymph node dissection. Int J Urol. 2011 Feb 10. doi: 10.1111/j.1442-2042.2010.02710.x. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 21306438.
- Gotto GT, Cronin AM, Laudone VP. Important considerations in the clinical use of preoperative prostate cancer predictive nomograms. Eur Urol. 2010 Oct;58(4):637-8. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2010.07.029. Epub 2010 Aug 4. PubMed PMID: 20705389.
- Gotto GT, Yunis LH, Vora K, Eastham JA, Scardino PT, Rabbani F. Impact of prior prostate radiation on complications after radical prostatectomy. J Urol. 2010 Jul;184(1):136-42. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2010.03.031. Epub 2010 May 15. PubMed PMID: 20478594.