As an integral member of the APCaRI Registry and Biorepository, the MLA works in a dynamic, collaborative, quality-focused environment. Research staff interacts with technical, medical and management staff at the Northern and Southern Alberta Urology Clinics, in addition to Registry personnel and partnering hospitals. The role of the MLA provides an interesting and challenging opportunity to collaborate with Investigators and the health care team to assist with the overall patient enrollment, sample collection, processing and shipping for clinical studies for the Alberta Prostate Cancer Research Initiative, APCaRI. The MLA will work primarily in the Urology clinics in Edmonton or Calgary. Studies include recruitment to the Alberta Prostate Registry and Biorepository as well as Investigator initiated trials.
The Medical Laboratory Assistant has overall responsibility coordination of patient visit schedules as per study protocol, sample collection, including processing and shipment of samples according to clinical protocol, maintains recordkeeping systems and procedures, and the implementation of some aspects of data collection and source documentation, as per APCaRI SOPs and ICH/GCP guidelines.
- Current MLA certification
- Previous clinical research experience preferred
- Training in ICH/GCP guidelines an asset
- Knowledge of IATA Transportation of Dangerous Goods, shipping regulations and basic laboratory procedures an asset
- Excellent organizational and time management skills required
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills required
- Ability to set priorities and work independently with accuracy in a dynamic environment
- Performs venipuncture to obtain blood samples and instructs the patient to obtain urine and/or semen sample.
- Processes and stores samples according to standard SOPs and manuals.
- Records sample associated information as indicated in SOPs and manuals.
- Coordinates transfer of samples to long-term storage facilities in a regular manner.
- Assists in day-to-day activities specifically engaged in the carrying out of research/clinical protocol(s), as appropriate to the position.
- Implements quality control process throughout the conduct of the trial(s)
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned including supports for other programs related to APCaRI activities.
- Assists with assembling of study specific source documents and with preparation of study binders to ensure regulatory documentation is maintained to meet study requirements
- Supports Clinical Research Nurse/Coordinator (CRC/N) in participant recruitment, instruction, and coordination of research subjects as appropriate to specific study objectives and work scope
- Contributes to the development and maintenance of protocols, ethics applications, manuals, guidelines, SOPPs, Intake Surveys, Quality of Life Questionnaires, and other study-associated documents
- Implements quality control processes throughout the conduct of the studies
- Participates in protocol execution: reviews and adheres to multiple research protocols
- Maintains a positive attitude, with sensitive approach to men in awkward situation.
- Signs confidentiality agreement and maintains participant confidentiality at all times.
- Attends to APCaRI conferences twice a year