As an integral member of the APCaRI Registry and BioRepository, the Clinical Database Manager works in a dynamic, collaborative, quality-focused environment. As a database manager you will interact with technical, medical and management staff at the Northern or Southern Alberta Urology Clinics, in addition to Registry personnel and partnering hospitals.
The Database Manager is responsible for establishing business rules, maintaining documentation of data and reporting protocols, and assisting in the development and implementation of best practices for the management of APCaRI Registry including the assurance of database policies and procedures, data integrity, data extraction, report customization and analysis. The Database Manager will work primarily in the Alberta Urology Clinic or Prostate Cancer Centre. Studies include recruitment to the APCaRI Registry and BioRepository as well as Investigator-initiated trials.
Summary of Research
Clinical registries improve care by arming doctors and teams treating prostate cancer with information about how their outcomes compare with international standards and other locales. The Alberta Prostate Cancer Registry will allow us to monitor the patterns of care and outcomes of men diagnosed with prostate cancer throughout Alberta, and provide a valuable tool to track how our translational research efforts are impacting outcomes over time. The registry will be linked to a biorepository containing patient specimens that will drive translational research and enable personalized approaches to prostate cancer diagnosis and treatment.
- At minimum, a completion of a Bachelor’s degree program
- At least two (2) year’s experience designing, developing and generating reports from a relational database application. Database design, deployment and management experience is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated relevant clinical research knowledge
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, excellent organization, prioritization skills, good computer skills, ability to learn quickly and work independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure and attention to detail
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines
- Ability to perform multiple concurrent tasks
- Knowledge of applicable legislative, AHS and/or departmental policies
- Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand
- Solid understanding of the principles of database management and business process workflow.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Professional with advanced skills in Word and Excel.
- Knowledge and experience using REDCap an asset
- Maintains database results by setting and enforcing standards and controls.
- Prepares for database expansion by studying plans and requirements; advising senior technical management; coordinating design and programming.
- Keeps management informed by preparing reports on system performance and problems.
- Upgrades hardware and software by assessing transaction processing and database production options.
- Maintains database performance by troubleshooting problems.
- Accomplishes platform upgrades and improvements by supervising system programming.
- Secures database by developing policies, procedures, and controls.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Accomplishes information systems and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
- Trains colleagues in how to input and extract data
- Ensures all of the data complies with legal regulations
- Makes sure the information is protected and backed-up
- Develops and maintains queries and reports for organization events and projects.
- Work with foundation staff to gather report requirements and ensure proper testing/validation.
- May help data entry clerk to input data into the registry